Monday 5 November 2012

A Budding Hip-Hop Scene


Can you guess who it is? Dirty Deeds is back and I’m about to handle my biz.
In my typical, cynical and global viewpoint it first must be noted that Sydney’s Hip Hop scene is tiny compared to that of New York, The West Coast, or Melbourne even. I recently archived my experiences at the Enmore Theatre, Newtown..
Pushing to the front of tech n9ne, ignoring team rat from Bankstown that continued to climb the barricade like they're still partying at Lollypops fucking Playland, I begin to take in the hip hop scene surrounding me. Snapbacks, graffiti and social minorities.
Everyone knows that they are just so hood, bopping their heads with staunch expressions on their face. The preliminary DJ drops classics such as Snoop, Biggie, and DMX. The crowd raps along, but I rap the most.
Two little C’s from the Gold Coast come out with some freestyles, we requested ‘weed’ and ‘Parramatta’ be rapped about. It was probably the only time the crowd went silent to listen. Freestyling is at the heart of Hip-hop culture and represents true skill. Flow baby, it’s so hard to master.
Obie Trice (real name, no gimmicks) enters stage, Detroit city is tattooed on each forearm and he is sipping Hennessey while emitting style so mind-blowing that Kkkerser has been completely over shadowed in a matter of seconds.
Show gets rudely interrupted by team rat punching on with one another; Obie lifts Rat A onto stage and wipes the blood off her face with his towel. The beat begins again and she gabbers off stage. – It's safe to say she sucked.
Previously, we made friends with a team of Hispanic guys, talking Spanish and smoking joints. I soon discover a guy called Fabien, fat ugly and sexy.
Baseball caps, Hemp stench and beard rash all over my neck. I begin to ponder Hip-hop. Tech n9ne on stage with psycho eyes, insane flow... a true performer.
American Hip-hop is all about letting that hand linger, basing your attitude on the music and yelling the lines you remember, normally the good ones. Ethnic and social minorities encapsulated hip hop the best for me, I guess no matter where you are, if you are society’s victim, then hip hop is for you.

- Dijana

No comments:

Post a Comment