Tuesday 10 January 2012

Balinese Orphans

I embarked on a holiday to Bali alone in November 2011, while there a good friend of mine; Kate Wilson  previously promised me (in a twisted haze) that she would take me to the orphanage that she worked at for 3 months earlier that year. On my last day, Kate, myself, Aldwin- a friend of ours who speaks fluent indonesian, Ellyott and Nelson (currently in South America) jumped on with some Balos to Denpasar. This particular orphanage looks after 56 children, with the youngest being only 3 months old.
I began to speak to one of the current volunteers from America that was completing her PHD in Social Work in Bali, and she informed me that most of children are found on the street, selling fruit and other small items to earn some coin. Next to her was the newest addition to the orphanage. He was 9 years old and was left to fend for himself on the street, no English, and no education under his belt. I asked him whether he liked being at the orphanage and he replied no, and gave me the same answer about school. I think that the toughest thing for disadvantaged kids, in Bali and in Australia, is to see the long term benefits choices such as school can give them. But I am in no position to tell children to simply stop being angry about the cards they have been dealt, I just wish they all played them well.

Jodie O'Shea orphanage has been constructed in loving memory of a Bali Bombings victim, sadly, previous owners were selfishly keeping donations for themselves and further disadvantaging kids -they are gone now. I hope to return to Bali and see this child happier with the prospects ahead.
On a final note, the key to this orphange stopping the cycle of poverty and abandonment is that they look after orphans till they are 18 years old, or able to fend for themselves, ongonig care that turns into guidance is what makes these schemes work.










No comments:

Post a Comment